Depending upon their types, different genres have different roles. For example, fiction and dramatic genres help students and writers learn and improve their communication skills. A poetic genre, on the other hand, enhances imaginative and emotional power of the readers. Non-fictional texts and essays help readers develop analytical and persuasive capabilities. However, the major function of genre is to establish a code of behavior between the writers and audience, and keep the readers informed about the topics discussed or the themes presented.
Students need practice to accurately identify the genres and subgenres of texts. Give your students rapid fire practice with this worksheet. You’ll love it!
Genre Worksheet 1 – Read the descriptions of the texts. Look for details that reveal the genre. Write the genre and subgenre on the lines and write a sentence explaining your answer. Suggested reading level for this text: Grade 6-10
Genre Worksheet RTF
Genre Worksheet PDF
Preview Genre Worksheet in Your Web Browser
Genre and Subgenre Online Practice 1 | Ereading Worksheet
Common Core State Standards Related to Genre and Subgenre - – Analyze how two or more texts address similar themes or topics in order to build knowledge or to compare the approaches the authors take.
Expand to View All Common Core State Standards Related to Genre and Subgenre ELA Standards: Literature - – With prompting and support, compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in familiar stories.
- – Compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in stories.
- – Compare and contrast two or more versions of the same story (., Cinderella stories) by different authors or from different cultures.
- – Compare and contrast the themes, settings, and plots of stories written by the same author about the same or similar characters (., in books from a series)
- – Compare and contrast the treatment of similar themes and topics (., opposition of good and evil) and patterns of events (., the quest) in stories, myths, and traditional literature from different cultures.
- – Compare and contrast stories in the same genre (., mysteries and adventure stories) on their approaches to similar themes and topics.
- – Compare and contrast texts in different forms or genres (., stories and poems; historical novels and fantasy stories) in terms of their approaches to similar themes and topics.
Common Core Lesson and Unit Plans
Understanding Common Core State Standards
Looking For More Reading Worksheets?
More Genre Worksheets
All Reading Worksheets
Still looking for something? Search here.
Click One of the Topics to Browse Reading Skills All Reading Worksheets and Activities
Author's Purpose Worksheets and Activities
Characterization Worksheets and Activities
Character Types Worksheets and Lessons
Context Clues Worksheets
Conflict Types Worksheets
Differentiated Reading Instruction Worksheets and Activities
Fact and Opinion Worksheets and Activities
Functional and Nonfiction Comprehension Worksheets Activities
Inferences Worksheets and Activities
Irony Worksheets and Activities
Main Idea Worksheets and Activities
Making Predictions Worksheets
Point of View Activities
Point of View Worksheets
Reading Comprehension Worksheets
Summary Worksheets and Activities
Story Structure Worksheets
Story Structure Activities
Text Structure Activities
Text Structure Worksheets
Theme Worksheets and Activities